How They Get You
Friday 13th December 2019
I was reading Margaret Atwood’s The Testaments at around the same time there was a gas leak. Wait, let me finish.
I was reading all about how terrifyingly easy it was for a military coup to just confiscate all women’s rights, property, jobs, money etc; round them up, and send them off in vans to stadiums where they would be subjected to brutal conditions and then be shot/forced to shoot each other in order to join the new misogynist regime.
The most chilling line for me in the whole book happens near the beginning when the women at a successful law firm are the only ones to show up for work and know something is wrong: “Is your car here? We need to leave.”
That’s what it would look like.
That’s exactly what it would look like if those things happened, I thought.
So anyway. A drunk driver crashed into the house next door to ours and ripped into their garage, severing a gas pipe. There was a gas leak.
We were woken from our beds at eleven o clock at night by men in hi vis jackets, telling us we had to vacate the area and get behind some cones to where it was safe until the gas men could come and turn off the mains and check if it was safe.
We had to get our small children out of bed, get our dog, abandon our cat, grab some blankets and go and sit on the road by the cones with some of our other neighbours.
It was so easy to make us leave our house. We just did whatever the men in hi vis jackets told us to do.
Yes, I know, in this story that was sensible because they were the good guys.
But all I could think was, this is how they would do it. This is how it would happen. The dead of night, that’s no longer your house, you have five minutes to grab some stuff. Then get out, the government owns that now.
The things you think about when you can’t sleep after a terrible election result.
- RT @AngryBlackLady: My latest. | Ruth Bader Ginsburg Was Flawed, but I Loved Her Anyway link 39 minutes ago
- It’s #DrunkWomenWednesday! This week we’re joined by the brilliant @sarahkcomedy and talk nuisance callers, Mariah… link 5 hours ago
- New EP! 🎉🕵️♂️🥂 link 5 hours ago
- RT @drunkwomenpod: It’s #DrunkWomenWednesday! This week we’re joined by the brilliant @sarahkcomedy and talk nuisance callers, Mariah Carey… 5 hours ago
- “You working? Cool. Probably need a cat jumping up behind you with no warning to help that along. Here I am. You’re… link 5 hours ago